Thursday, December 6, 2007

I know some famous people!! The Home Song Stories




I don’t know many celebrities but I do know the partners of a film company in Melbourne. They’ve made some really lovely productions that are very human and poignant.

One of their films, The Home Song Stories, just picked up three Australian film awards and I’m beside myself with happiness for them because I know how hard they work.

The story is based on the life of the writer/director Tony Ayres and his partner in crime Michael McMahon, makes it all happen.

The film stars, amongst others, Joan Chen, who people may remember from, films like The Last Emperor and The Sent Down Girl (I think it was called – someone correct me if I’m wrong). She’s gorgeous to look at and an excellent actor. I’ve never seen a picture of Tony’s mother but now I guess I don’t have too.



What I find most fascinating is I’ve never known anyone who’s made a film about their own life. Consequently, of particularly interest to me is the boy who plays Tony because, although I’ve not spoken to Tony about it, I presume the character must, in some way, reflect him as a child.

Tony has a talent for writing about sensitive issues people face in life and usually tend to colour up but, in his case, characters are always very... real.

Anyway, if you get a chance, wherever you are, go and see it. I find it fascinating getting glimpses of ‘real’ people in life and I can guarantee you the makers of the film are good, decent people without any Hollywood affectations.

As a temporary immigrant, I can’t help but feel what it must have been like for this family from ‘somewhere else’ stuck in a strange land…

No comments: