Sunday, December 2, 2007

My brilliant big day!

I woke up to very grey, wet clouds and teeming rain. Some of those wet clouds were also in my head and coming out my nose. But that’s not enough to deter someone from the colonies. We’re made tough. I was back in adventure mode.

And, I had absolutely no fail-proof plan – I really had no plan at all.

That is until, as if by Divine Intervention, there was a rattle at the door and another hundred junk mail brochures were shoved through. This is my daily equivalent to, “Oh, you’re home! It’s so good to see you again!” I toddled over holding a tissue to me streaming nose and peered down in the dark. Turning the light on, what do you think was on top? A brochure from a place called “Jysk”.

If royal warrants were handed out by me, one would be firmly perched atop their front door. There was no address on the brochure but I looked them up on the web to find they had an outlet, not just on the other side of Copenhagen but also in Vesterbro – walking distance!

It was too early for a champagne but I found it hard to contain my excitement. After a quick call to Australia to inform NQDII about my find, I shot into the shower, dressed and left.

It was a good walk but not exhaustingly so and there it was, right in front of me at Vesterbrogade 65.

In no time at all, thanks two helpful assistants, my VISA card held a bed, mattress protector, sofabed, coffee table, pillows and shower curtain. It didn’t worry me that they would only deliver the big stuff and I was quite happy shuffling my way over to the new flat with two gigantic bags stuffed full of bedding. The rest is coming between 1500 and 2100hrs on Wednesday.

I’d not seen the flat before in the daylight and was surprised at how bright (as well as empty) it is. It will be good living somewhere without pit helmets being mandatory.

I found some dental floss at the mall nearby and, as I walked back here also came across a fantastic little supermarket not that much further from the other but in the opposite direction. It had everything and all very good quality. I bought some gravladlaks, organic vanilla bean ice cream and some delicious spreads. Hmm. I wish I’d found this place a few weeks ago…

Ahh… What a relief! I think I’ll have a wine.

2 comments:

EKinDK said...

Hooray! A bed! Oh, I can only imagine what you've been sleeping on... I think it's absolutely BRILLIANT that you left all your crap and walked out of Ikea. Their customer-no-service kind of, um, LACKS. Enjoy all of your goodies!

NotQuiteDanish said...

It's been okay - I'm still at the temporary place till Saturday. I could have been there sooner if I wanted but it just got too hard trying to organise everything in time.

You can sure say that again about IKEA. I think it's fine if you're Mr Brady and have the whole Bunch there to help but not so good if you're Bridget Jones. :) [Actually, i can see her doing exactly the same as me, now I think about it]