Saturday, November 22, 2008

Science in art




NQDII is currently in a frenzied state of creativity - again. The dining room, after what seemed a too short break, is once more covered in canvases, brushes, plastic on the floor, scraps of planning paper and lots of sounds of someone talking to themselves.

Believe it or not, commissions are starting to flow in and there are now seven or eight adorning walls over the Danish Empire.

I'm rather hoping it all takes off in the ilk of Lucian Freud, who recently sold his latest for GBP 10 million.

Most of this sloshing and slapping has a science tweak, which I guess adds something unique to the subject. The latest, done for his CEO, is entitled 'Encephalitis'. Possibly not the most romantic of subjects, I nevertheless feel it is the best so far. This picture doesn't do it justice because in real life, it has lots of depth and very good light variations and it's a very big painting.

On that note, I guess I better hit the real estate websites and start looking for a suitable, ancient rambling retreat. I'm thinking Lagio Maggiore, Lombardi or even Corsica...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

painting is also one of my favourite leisure activities. but now, I can barely get a brush and start doing it for I am "highly occupied" with reading Stieg Larsson's number 2!!!

*grins*

May said...

I was thinking "axons" and "dendrites" when I saw the painting.

It's good, I like it very much, and not only because I'm an artist/scientist myself.

NotQuiteDanish said...

writer: Læser du på dansk eller engelsk? I can't find the second one in English :(

May: I will pass your comments on. Interesting you're a scientist and artist too. I always thought the two were mutually exclusive! :) Can we see yours anywhere?

Anonymous said...

På dansk :) I don't think the English version is out yet. Hang on there!

May said...

heh, yeah I know a few artist-scientist, but we're probably a rare breed, which is strange, because science is often very esthetically pleasing to look at, like mathematical fractals or phyto-plankton. :)

Aaaand, revealing my true not-so-superhero identity, you can see my art here:

www.maylinart.com

NotQuiteDanish said...

May: Gosh, you really do some beautiful work and such detail. So do you paint full-time or are science?

May said...

Thank you. :)

Well, I actually went in a third direction and opened an internet shop, which takes up most of my time. My working weeks are usually between 40-46 hours.

I paint part time and take the occasional commission, but haven't done much this past year due to the move.

There's way to little science in my life now, I sometimes indulge in research articles, but I have no one to share them with, my husband tends to get this rather pained expression on his face everytime I want to share some, to me, really interesting stuff. *lol*