Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dronningens nytårstale 2007 del 1 (part one)

Here is the Danish Queen, Margrethe, giving her New Year’s Eve address to the nations – which, I might add, most Danes watch at 6 o’clock pm before they begin their celebrations.

She’s a very talented woman – an artist, a translator and speaks 400 languages fluently – well, not 400 but lots. Her English is flawless.

To me, she comes across as a tad daunting but I think what made me warm to her was the way she read off paper, rather than teleprompter and I love how she removes the paper clip and rustles the paper before she speaks. That, in itself, is something that endears me to the Danes. They don’t’ – Queen seemingly included – stand on ceremony and are very relaxed. I also have a feeling she says goodbye to 2006, rather than 2007 – so listen and see if you hear her say seks (6) or syv (7).

3 comments:

N said...

I watched her speech on TV and I didn't understood a word. The newspaper called her a hypocrite the next day of the speech.

NotQuiteDanish said...

I wonder why?

N said...

My bf told me because she uses a lot of fuel on her private jet, when people are supposed to be conscious about the environment.