Sunday, January 27, 2008

Denmark's public transport







I’ve heard a few Danes lament their public transport system for being unreliable at times. I can’t understand this. They should try relying on Melbourne or Sydney’s public transport system, when having your train arrive on time (or at all) is sometimes nothing short of a miracle. Indeed, it’s so bad in Melbourne at the moment that a citizen’s action group is telling passengers not to pay for tickets.

My experience here in Copenhagen is totally positive.

You have to remember Denmark is a tiny country and Copenhagen a comparatively small capital city by European standards, and even Australian standards. But despite this, they have a system that is truly remarkable and efficient.

In peak hour, the trains on the suburban lines and the metro run almost minutely. It’s so quick. If you miss one, another is there before you know it.

The trains themselves are kept pretty clean with sections in the carriage when you can take your bike and even dog!

The driverless metro trains are excellent and really do help keep the city moving.

My only gripe is with the etiquette of some Copenhageners when they board a train. It must be Australia’s UK heritage but we’re well used to queuing (without numbers) and as much of a bore as it is to wait for someone to get what ever they want at a counter and move on, we put up with it.

As you can imagine, there’s usually quite a few people waiting to get on when a train stops and, while most who are ready to embark group around either side of the door waiting for other to get off, there’s always a few who feel it is their Divine Right to just push in while people try to get out.

It’s starting to drive me insane. You know how little things can do that…

I had a frustrating day at work a couple of weeks ago and just wanted to get home. (We’ve bought bikes now, so I ride – but anyway, that’s another story). I was with a group of about 15 people waiting to get off at Østerport station.

The doors open and we start to file out but just when half of us are about out, a guy decides he must get in immediately, I guess because it will get him to his destination far quicker.

That was it.

I wasn’t in the mood and I saw red. I decided to wear my right elbow out a bit further than usual and put on the exact speed he was using to get in the train. The result was an audible grunt but I really had had enough, although I felt dreadfully guilty for being so ‘aggressive’, but there you are. I was. My halo is now skewiff.

No comments: