Sunday, January 27, 2008

Speaking like the locals

You start to wonder about this quickly.

For those of you who’ve never come into contact with Danish, I shall endeavour to explain what must be one of the world’s most difficult languages to speak. I say ‘speak’, because grammatically it’s not overtly different to other Western languages to learn. In fact, unlike, say French, you don’t need to learn a gazillion verb endings for different voices, it’s simply:

jeg er, du er, vi er, etc…

But, speaking is a different kettle of fish.

I can’t think of one word actually pronounced in its entire form.

Here are some quick examples:

‘meget’, the word for ‘very’. This is pronounced something like – ‘mahwwwl’.

‘og’ – ‘and’ – is ‘oh’ and ‘hurtigt’ – quickly – is ‘hor’dit’ (sort of)

…and on it goes. Seriously!

Consequently, actually stringing a comprehensible sentence together seems only possible by making it utterly incomprehensible.

Still, progress is being made. Now, at least when I’m shopping, I’ll get a reply – albeit in English…

NQDII has come up with a an answer to at least to towns and suburbs, so at least we can use our own ‘dialect’:

Vanløse – Van loser
Roskilde – Rockslide
Nivå – Nivea
Lyngby – Lingbi
Køge – Codge

- So as you can see, we’re almost fluent.

4 comments:

N said...

I understand what you mean...I still failed to learn Danish 'cause it's so difficult to pronounce! I already speak 4 languages I don't need more. The only time I learn to pronounce is when I'm on 1 hour train to Copenhagen. I got used to the words during my second trip.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Whoa. I think four is quite enough too, Bluefish! You're putting most of us to shame. In one way, I wish I'd never learned Swedish because it really wrecks learning Danish.

N said...

I thought Scandinivian languages all sound the same...When we went to Malmo my bf didn't want to speak Danish to the Swedes 'cause he said they speak too fast. Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to communicate in 2 different languages. Like speaking Italian to a Spanish speaker...when I learned both languages it totally ruined my learning ability. It's too difficult to learn 2 similar languages at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. How long have you been in DK by the way? But later you will get the hang of it and also start to laugh at people who speak Jysk (well I am living in Copenhagen).

But of course, sometimes people still laugh at me for not pronunciating a word correctly