Sunday, February 17, 2008

Frederiksborg eller Fredensborg?





Umm, how frequently do buses run on a Saturday...

We scrapped normal Saturday housekeeping duties yesterday, which is safe here because no one ever calls in, except the man who delivers the junk mail. He buzzes the front door quite a bit.

After an initial difference of opinion about whether to buy more KilpKort’s or just a return ticket, we began our merry way to Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød.

Once off the train, we were meant to get, according to rejseplanen, bus number 700S to the castle. It looked a bit odd because the bus trip appeared to only take a minute travel time. So, mustering up my best Danish, I boarded the bus and asked:

“Does this bus go to Frederiksborg Slot?”

A very simple question but I must explain something. There are two castles/palaces in a distance of what must be 10km or so. Frederiksborg is uninhabited and the royal family live part of the year at Fredensborg. As we’d not rung ahead to tell Mary we may call in, we didn’t think we should be rude so settled on Frederiksborg.

The bus driver said in his best Danish.

“Nej, 701.”

So off we trotted to 701 and the bus drove off.

Twenty minutes later there appeared no castles in sight. NQDII was starting to sweat with worry, telling me I had ‘stuffed it up’.

Then we saw the sign to Fredensborg and realised or, at least I realised, my Danish wasn’t as good as I thought.

In a very bad mood by now NQDII said we should get off at the next stop (which happened to be some sort of lunatic asylum). We did and boy, was I in trouble!

It was freezing.

We waited half an hour for a bus to come back the other way. I couldn’t stop giggling and NQDII couldn’t stop being angry.

We marched onto the bus, me sniggering, NQDII festering, only to find it was the same bus driver who dropped us off on the other side of the road! He gave us a very dubious look, perhaps not undue seeing we were right outside a psychiatric facility, and off we went back to Hillerød station.

Finally, we arrived after a kilometre’s walk at Frederiksborg Castle and NQDII was much happier.

It really is a magnificent palace. These pictures probably don’t do it justice.

4 comments:

N said...

I got engaged in that castle! My fiance and I walked there from the station and we enjoyed a romantic dinner after the engagement.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Well, that must have been very romantic - it's a beautiful place. And, a totally polarised experience to ours because we nearly got divorced on our way there :)

Anonymous said...

It's easier to take 173E from Nørreport, that is if you live in Copenhagen area of course! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh and i should add, the 173E goes to Fredensborg. I was in the same confusion with you :)