Sunday, February 24, 2008

The suntan conspiracy

This could be a Robert Ludlum book, were he not dead.

I work in a building that used to be, centuries ago, the royal mews (or something). It’s a group of really lovely old building is Østerbro.

The kommune or someone is building a new building right next door and there’s always a lot of crashing and banging going on.

On Thursday last week there was another crash and I put it down to another steel girder falling off. But no! This time it was a bomb!! Yes, a real bomb left by two assailants inside the foyer of a solarium directly across the road. Were it not for the acrid smell and my dismal grasp of the evening news, I would still be thinking the crane had dropped a girder.

Since then, apparently two more suntan studios have been bombed or burned. There is a veritable smorgåsbord of theories about it – like Muslim extremists, disgruntled youth and the IAAVBS – International Army Against Very Brown Skin. But Copenhagen is abuzz with theories.

What I find rather endearing, if that’s a word one can use in such a worrying circumstance, is that two masked men were seen at roughly 11am dropping a ‘bag’ off at the solarium and making a run for it.

Is it just me, or does wearing a mask in daylight seem a bit conspicuous?? Wouldn’t they have been better sauntering on like they were off to a Red Cross meeting with a rucksack and with not a care in the world just leaving the bomb and walking on their merry way?

Anyway, it’s not for me to give terrorists hints but it does seem odd.

Thankfully, no one was hurt except for a poor little doggy who was given much comfort to by a couple of the fire crew who I hope Queen Margrethe invites for lunch to thank. It was really very touching and I don’t want to think how scared by that terrible noise the little ‘man’s best friend' may have been.

It could have been much worse.

You know, apart from the unfriendly lady upstairs (who I can only think must have ‘issues’), Danes are honestly the loveliest people on Earth I’ve come across. They accept all kinds of people into their lovely land and rarely say a bad word against anyone.

As an antipodean, it makes me angry that people would do this sort of thing in this country. While there’s a part to Danes no foreigner (for-idge-ner) will never get to know, no country on Earth is accepting of ‘difference’ as this dejlig lot. I feel very protective towards them (apart from nasty lady upstairs).

NQDII, who has been using solariums of late, is having a break.

2 comments:

N said...

That's horrible!

NotQuiteDanish said...

Yes, well, I have to admit, there are even bad news stories from Copenhagen... :(