Sunday, April 6, 2008

I have to get a F***ING Dankort with chip


That's it. I can't stand it any longer. I can't survive any longer with a bloody card without a 'chip'.

Last night we went to see the film I mentioned earlier in Østerbro with a Danish friend. I'd booked the tickets earlier in the week, did the whole spiel in Danish when I picked them up, flashed my Danske Bank Mastercard and went to swipe it in the swiper but NO!! Even though the machine had a f**cking swiper on it, it was all taped over. You could only use the chip.

The very nice girl serving me directed me over to the automatic teller across the road near McDonalds, and off I trotted only to find it out of action, which sent me off on a mega-trek up and down Østerbrogade looking for another.

It all worked out in the end but it was the comment from our Danish friend that was interesting. "See, it just means you're not part of the tribe yet. Everyone would have been watching saying, 'He's not one of us'".

So, my warning to anyone moving to Denmark: as soon as you get your CPR number, GET A CARD WITH A CHIP IN IT!

4 comments:

kimananda said...

Wow, I'd never considered that. Maybe it's just because whenever I'm out of the country, I seem to lose my card, so I didn't have to ask for one, I just got one when they came out because I keep getting new cards. What a long painful process just to get some tickets!

EKinDK said...

Ain't it the truth -- the chip opens doors! I remember using The Husband's card on Day 3 or 4 here, and not being able to figure out which end, which side the f#&@ing chip was even on. (I could SEE it, of course, but the little machine reader...?) Many kind cashiers helped me out. And what's up with all the swipey parts being taped over?

NotQuiteDanish said...

kimananda: It was long and painful but more embarassing because you DO feel like an outsider because everyone else has a chip. It's akin to being a teenager and desperately wanting all the cool clothing/music bits every other kid has and not being allowed. You know, you just feel like the biggest loser :))

ek: It's a conspiracy BUT I can just imagine the knowing smiles of belonging that will pass between me and other shoppers as I stand in line one day and plug my chip in. I'll then turn around, with an ever so slight smile, to everyone else in the queue and that barely noticeable look of acknowledgement will flash over all of us.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that you can get a card from a Danish bank without a chip (like you said previously - Mastercard) I thought the chip was always there, is there and will always be there :)