Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Protestants rock!


No, I am not a militant religo, just very thankful for Store Bededag (Big Prayer Day) on Friday and the public holiday that goes with it.

Having never heard anything so religiously ‘big’ before (coming from the colonial far south where most are heathens), I’ve done a little googling and uncovered the reason for the holiday.

It marks the day in 1686 when Bishop Bagger created a prayer day to mark the signing, 38 years before, of the Treaty of Westphalia that legitimised the Protestant faith. I’m ever so grateful because I am really in the mood for an extra day off this week. I have the first oral Danish test in a few weeks and am in dire need of some extra swat time.

Somehow I doubt the initial meaning created the same effect it does today – as a much-appreciated long weekend. But then, I can’t help but think perhaps a bit of prayer hurts no one. Indeed people I know of who do pray seem almost to be relieved of loads off their minds after unburdening themselves to the Higher Power.

Maybe I’ll combine a bit of study with a bit of prayer. I need both to pass…

1 comment:

kimananda said...

The only problem is that Store Bededag was a way of consolidating lots of minor holidays into one...so actually it left us with more days of work overall rather than less! But that being said, it was a nice day off.

Held og lykke med examen! :-)