Thursday, October 2, 2008

Doom and gloom




While Hamish carries on eating his dinner tonight totally unaware of the possible chaos that could befall us any moment...

And speaking of the demise of the world’s economic system, is it just me or is everyone else ‘over it’ already? For some reason, recessions seem to follow me around wherever I go and I’m totally sick of them.

To cheer myself up in bed last night, and after many complex monetary calculations, I came to the following conclusions:

• If I lose my job, we will have to rush to see NQDII’s visa is changed to the main visa holder
• If NQDII loses his job and I don’t, we will not eat much because my (almost equal salary) doesn’t seem to last as long for some odd reason
• If NQDII loses his job as well as me, we will have to leave pretty quickly
• This will be a headache because…
• It will cost us a fortune to go back to Australia
• Hamish is pretty much the cost of a first class ticket
• Our house is rented out and we will have to live in a government run shelter for the homeless (read St Vincent de Paul bin)

Possible solutions:

• Apply for refugee status but I am at a loss as to what we could apply as refugees from…
• Ask Mary if she needs a gardener or two

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed that everything will turn out ok again. I'm also bracing myself toward this financial crisis. An increase in unemployment is predicted already, dunno what would happen to a new graduate like me

Paula said...

Its a tough situation- I can empathize with your feelings. Just hope for the best for now and try to remain optimistic.

May said...

Refugees from sharks and black widow spiders?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's not looking too gloomy for Denmark, though. Of course my bank just cracked, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Rachel said...

I'll hope for the best for you two... I'm sure everything will work out good. At least you're thinking of options and alternatives in case the worst happens.

btw, Hamish is adorable.

DreaminginDanish said...

Keep positive - it's the only thing us foreigners can do in a situation like this. But it sure would be nice to be a dog right now; blissfully ignorant :)

NotQuiteDanish said...

Thanks all. I probably sounded more worried than I am. At my age, I am actually, when the crunch comes, more 'what will be will be'.

May: I hadn't thought of the shark factor. And funnelwebs as far as spiders go - horrific!

Rachel: Yes he is cute :)

Writer: You will be fine. Plus I wouldn't put it past you to start your own company up in defiance!! :)

Indra: So agree about the dog. Must tbe blissful - and they need not much to be happy - companionship, food and a ball. :)

kim said...

darling, just be grateful you don't work for a bloody bank! then you'd really be over the financial meltdown doom and gloom.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Kim: I hadn't thought of that, you poor thing! And writing about it everyday just to really punish yourself :)

kim said...

Yes, but at least I'm in the spin business... "Australia's banking system is very robust, we have much stronger regulation than the US, we've got a AA rating, our economy is strong...blah, blah, blah", if I write it another 25 times I'll probably start believing it!

MoMo 2.0 said...

I would love to crawl inside albert´s thoughts sometimes...and just live a "day in the life of a dog"...simple and easy.

Albert does not realize there is a financial crisis, or that every Danish tv station is televising SARAH PALIN, VP candidate night and day...
oh the good life...