Friday, March 27, 2009

Hjælp os baroness!

NQDII and I desperately need to cultivate a friendship with Baronessen – aka Caroline Fleming. If anyone can help find this aristocrat, we would be forever in their debt (literally, judging by the life her friends probably have to keep up with!) And no, we’re not social climbing but having recently watched the programme, Baronessen flytter ind (The Baroness moves in), we’ve finally found a show we can watch and understand.

I’ve no idea what sort of Danish she speaks but she says whole words and says them clearly. I did hear once that they speak the best Danish on Fyn. I don’t know whether that’s true or not because I can’t recall if the person told me was ‘Fynsk’, so it could just have been a biased opinion. But, as her family estate, which she now runs, is on that island, perhaps it is why…

Nevertheless we find ourselves glued to a programme the likes of which we normally wouldn’t watch.

7 comments:

Paula said...

Oh I adore Baronessen. I just love her cosmopolitan swing of things.

May said...

You should have her "move in" with her pink rubber gloves and then convince her that you're her new life long friends! (A completely sterile home will probably go a long way in accomplishing this)

I think the person telling you about Fyn was pulling your leg. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Fun fact: fynsk still has elements of the old-norse language in it! They've kept some declensions that "regular" Danish shed many, many years ago. (This is true - I got me an edumacation!)
Doesn't help the accent thought. Still sounds like hillbilly talk to other Danes.

Unknown said...

Technically Valdemar Slot is not located at Fyn (Funen) but on the small island named Tåsinge just south of Fyn. I have been to this castle before, but did not see her :-)

Another fun fact:
Caroline Fleming's ex husband the English multi millionare Rory Fleming is a cousin of the famous James Bond author Ian Fleming.
Rory is part of the fourth richest family in England according to this http://www.beroemte.dk/caroline-fleming


Apart from the Valdemar Slot castle, Tåsinge is famous for the gravesite of Elvira Madigan and her Swedish lover Sixten Sparre who killed themselves at Tåsinge in 1889.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvira_Madigan

Madigan's and Sparre's grave is situated on the cemetery of Landet on Tåsinge and is still today visited by tourists and lovers from all over the world.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

If the baroness moves in, you have your need for that maid SOLVED!! Guess you will not need me now! LOL

NotQuiteDanish said...

Paula - she does have some sort of attraction - I guess just as well for her with the biggest house in DK to upkeep.

May - if she wants domestic sterility, this is not the flat for her - just ask Kelli!

Jennie - I never knew that. So you can really pick the accents? You must be SOOOO far ahead of me i dansk..

Anonymous said...

I'm a cheater. My mom's Danish. And from Fyn.