Friday, March 27, 2009

O..M...G.. Thanks *heaps* Telia

For those of you who don't know, Telia- Tee (hard sound at the start) - li - ah, is the equivalent of, I guess, Telstra in Australia. A really big telecommunications company.

Unfortunately for me, when I had to rush back to Australia, I had no alternative but to take my Danish mobile. I went straight from the airport to an aunt's who kindly loaned me her car so I could try and find out what had happened to the place where I come from.

As you may imagine, given the roadblocks because of fires etc, this took some logistical work and, as I had no word about my father - or brother from Singapore at that stage - it took quite a lot of telephone calls to come to grips with what was going on. I knew in the back of my mind it would be a hellish bill because of all of this BUT I wasn't quite prepare for the almost DKK7,000 bill I noticed on my bank account today!

Yes, I made the calls and yes I knew they cost money but DKK7000??

Anyway, suspecting I might get a large bill, last month I emailed them hoping they may take some mercy on me - given how much these sorts of companies CEOs are paid and the size of their Golden Handshakes/Parachutes. I certainly wasn't asking to pay nothing but I thought they might take some mercy on a rather dire situation. They didn't (obviously as my bank account will attest). In any case, I wasn't completely surprised when I got this response from www.telia.dk :

"Thank you for your email

It is very unfortunate what you've been going through. And you have our deepest sympathy.

But we can not fulfill your wish and wtrie down this bill. We have many customers that use their phone in other countries than Denmark, and if you choose to use it, you will also have to pay the bills."


Thanks Telia - that first sentence had me reaching for tissues... And, at that stage, I didn't even have the bill - which btw, has taken over a month to hit my account. But firstly, I didn't ask Telia to 'write down the bill'. I'm not a tight-arse. But knowing for how little you can call anywhere on Skype, I kinda figure they make a decent profit and, at a time of catastrophe, they might take of 10% or so, given that I wasn't in the frame of mind, nor did I have the time, to rush of somewhere and organise some sort of Australian pre-paid thing when I arrived.

Anyway, I kinda figured I'd be up for DKK3,500-4,000 but DKK7000! I guess it's my own fault but really, I didn't expect it to be that much!

DKK7,000!!!!!!

Seriously, just kill me! :)

And I had to come clean about it to NQDII tonight. :(

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG 7.000 kr. I'd probably faint or fall from my chair like those described in Japanese comic books / cartoon if I were you.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

OMG.....not only did you have the tragedies going on in Australia to worry about ..but now this?!? I experienced something similar my trip back in August when my grandmother died, but I was like you... of course, we had to use our phones... but to come home to a bill like that is just insane.

May said...

That's an insane amount of money!
You would have thought they could have changed your subscription to something more favourable during the time you were away or given you some kind of discount.

Paula said...

Arrgh. I just hate the astronomical prices of things here. It gets under my skin. Seriously. Im so sorry that you had to deal with this.

DreaminginDanish said...

That stinks! Jeez what a bunch of money grubbers! I'm so sorry NQD :(

Garkbit said...

I sympathise.

I once used my US "cheap-dialling" card for a few medium-length calls in Europe (a couple of hours in total) and came home to a $500 bill. Ouch.

The Artist said...

With that amount of money you could pay the deposit on a small car in Germany (Opel Corsa fx) and then the monthly installments shoudn't be more than 1000 DKK.

But hey, this is Denmark ... here it's just a phone bill :)

C and H Romenesko said...

What a bummer! Did the bill just take your breath away...and not in a lovely dovey kind of way?!?!? My husband did something similar when I was studying in Mexico. And, luckily I was able to persuade the phone co to write off a bit of the bill...and my tears help. I know, terrible shame. Do tears get you anything in Denmark?