Monday, March 23, 2009

Yeah, okay, I'm a bad blogger

Metal garden furniture melts in bushfires!

My old house on the farm - or what's left of it

This was a mini rainforest on the farm - very lush with tree ferns and a stream

Thanks May for the kind inquiry. Had it not been for you, it would probably *be* May by the time I got around to posting again. Like going to the gym, it's a classic case of once you stop it's very hard to get going again.

In a nutshell, the end and the beginning of the year weren't exactly great. People at work got retrenched - luckily I missed the first round but it's just dreadful watching people you know and like leave under such circumstances.

Then came Christmas and my long-awaited visit from my brother, his wife and three kids. And wow, was I excited. Howeverrrrrr, this was more than somewhat marred by every one of us coming down with influenza at the same time, so it was not exactly the fun and wow of a time we'd all planned. In fact, more a case of 'who plays nurse today' kind of holiday.

Then, of course, in February the bushfires hit Australia and my entire town, or village I guess you could say, was wiped out. So I made an emergency trip back for a few days to be with my father and also my brother who'd flown in from Singapore. With our property completely destroyed - except for the main homestead which miraculously survived, it was an extremely surreal time. And then of course, the people I knew who fared far worse and lost their lives.

That was me from Christmas till now and I do hope everyone else had a better time!

But onwards and upwards! Spring is finally in the air - save the occasional snow flurry and it's getting light, light light! It's 18:30 right now and it's still daylight - a couple of months ago it was twilight at 14:30... I'm coming out of the den and hungry for life! :)

4 comments:

N said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. It was indeed a very devastating event. I'm glad that your family is safe and well. *hugs*

MoMo 2.0 said...

One statement---- I AM GLAD YOU ARE BACK!!!

May said...

It's nice to have you back!

I'm sorry to read about what a terrible start you had to this year. Those photos are very humbling, I can't begin to imagine the heat it would take to do this kind of damage.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the bushfire in Australia and that you lost your house and your precious things - but like everyone said: I'm glad you're back on the blog