Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bornholm, bornholm, bornholm








Du, min dejlige ferieø... or something like that. That's the song they play on the ferry over to this rather special Danish island. I spent the last long weekend there. Unfortunately, because we're busy at work, I came back on Monday, while NQDII is staying for the week with Hamish.

Anyway, I digress. Everyone told me Bornholm was 'special', so I couldn't wait to see it, albeit briefly. And it really was. They weren't kidding - fantastic beaches, great food, super countryside and lots and lots to do - if you have the time, which I didn't.

Lots of artists live there so there are plenty of glass works, studios etc, not to mention some really fantastic food - from homemade chocolates, ice cream and smokehouses to some really, really good restaurants. This one for instance: Æblehaven It really was tremendous, probably the best food and wine I've had in DK so far.

The beaches, as you can see from the pictures, are fantastic.

We took the train to Sweden and then got the ferry across, both of which Hamish thoroughly enjoyed. But I flew home which cut the travel time door-to-door from 4 hours to 1.2 hours. If you come to Denmark in summer, it really is worth a visit and the air fair is dirt cheap.

I wonder what NQDII is doing now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! Going to Bornholm tomorrow as a matter of fact. Love it love it love it. Beaches and forests galore. Fresh air and smoked fish. And peace.

Unfortunately also a bumpy ferry ride by the looks of the forecast. But worth it.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Are you? Half you're luck. I can honestly say I am jealous now! I think a Sommersby will cure the sea sickness and if not, at least you'll have fun drinking it :)

Kelli Nørgaard said...

Sommersby cures all!!! And would you believe we could not find it while we were here!?!

Bornholm is on the top of my to do list.... hopefully I will get there soon!