Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What's a 'bogan' in Danish?




In Australia, we call a certain type of person a 'bogan' . I think Americans say redneck. In the UK they say 'yobbo' but that get's a bit confusing because a 'yobbo' or 'yob' in Australia is someone who's very aggressive, as well as lacking culture and has no social skills and doesn't want them.

I have to admit, I haven't come across many in Denmark but I can't believe there's not a slang Danish word for them. The closest I've found is 'bisse' but someone told me that's not really right either.

So what is it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonderøv. Says it all.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Yeah? Great. But what is the direct translation? Country bum?

Anonymous said...

Farmer's ass.

Irene said...

Bonderøv is more like a 'redneck'.

Idiot fits the bill pretty good, doens't it? ;-)

May said...

A Brian maybe?

Or a Benny-Båtnakke?

Kelli Nørgaard said...

well let me tell you... we HAVE THEM IN TEXAS!! And I am working on a blog from our trip of all the evidence of it!! :o)

Ida/FarEastLogbook said...

Haha! 'Johnny-Brian' for a guy, 'Conny-Laila' for a girl... I think 'bonderøv' is more of a big city take on the matter :-)