Thursday, May 29, 2008

Airport funnies


I’m one of those odd types who loves airports. I make an adventure out of everything that happens, except narky Australian customs who can be very rude. I find airports the most fascinating places to watch people as they constantly bring out the very best and very worst.

This is now a couple of weeks old but when I think of it, I still get the giggles.

I was perched on one of those high stool and table set-ups at Schoenefeld airport, happily drinking German beers and scoffing down a baguette.

In walked a pimply, very young looking American kid of about 18 (I suspect) and a middle-aged woman, very well dressed with a ‘sort of’ Indian look and accent to her but not completely.

I have no idea what their relationship was, it was very hard to work out.

They sat at the table behind me and I could hear bits and pieces of their conversation. Something came up about smoking. I missed the next bit but then heard the American kid say:

“You know, like Sesame Street.”

No comment from the woman.

“Do you know Sesame Street? (In slow, baffled disbelief)

“No,” she said, adding, “Is it like Sex and the City?”

Long pause by American kid.

“Sort of. But, like, for three year olds.”

“Oh…” Said the woman. I guess trying to get an image of Sesame Street (as such!) in her head.

5 comments:

N said...

Lol...is Big Bird having private time with Cookie Monster? Lol.

I work at an airport and you see all kinds of people. Sometimes I just want to smack them all.

Nurhanne said...

I wonder what she imagined ..... :-)

Anne said...

If I'd known that, I'd never have let my kids watch it! I love watching people -- better than the telly!

Dutchy said...

Hi guys, I'm Mark a Dutch expatriate living in Copenhagen since 6 months. I was wondering if any of you know a good place/pub in the city to watch soccer games? I was actually looking for a Ducth expat blog, trying to hook up with other Dutchmen to watch the upcoming European Championship with. But didn't find anything yet. I reckon you Aussies aren't much into the European soccer euh?! Any ideas/suggestions about good pubs to watch sports in? Let me know, greetz Mark

NotQuiteDanish said...

Hi Dutchy

This is where you should head - not far from Norreport Station:

http://www.the-globe.dk/

Enjoy!