Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo




Wow. It's been a long while since I've read a thriller that really distracted my from life. This one did. It's the first of a trilogy written by a Swedish chap, Stieg Larsson, (Steeg Lar-shon) who, poor bloke, wrote the books and then died of a heart attack before they were published. He was only 49, not much older than I am. (Well, okay, I give in. Quite a bit older - years even)

This one went on to become a best seller and his family are apparently squabbling over the incoming fortunes, as we tend to do as humans.

Nevertheless, this book was completely wonderful - if you are into thrillers.

I heard a lot about it, ordered it and started reading. For about twenty pages, I was almost asleep, wondering if this was yet another book millions had thought magical, except me. But a couple of pages later, I was enthralled.

Quickly, bedtime got earlier and earlier and it was one of those books I didn't want to end. The language is superb and the character developments are beautifully done. The suspense is fingernail stuff and the plot really engages you and compels you to read on and on.

I really loved every character - and there are quite a number of them, each described beautifully. Of course, you can't help but fall in love with Salander.

I just keep thinking what a shame he died. And, once the next two books are published and I read them, what will I do?

I regret two things about reading it. First that it ended and secondly that I didn't read it during Hygge season.

10 comments:

Melissa Lauterbach Barrett said...

Tak for the book info, it was enough to make me put it into my shopping cart at Amazon.

May said...

My cousin keep telling me to read Stig Larsson and I guess this is another kick in the behind to go out and get those books.

NotQuiteDanish said...

melissa: Get it, I really dont think you will be disappointed.

May: I know, I felt the same way - even my sister in law in Singapore was telling me about it. Now I wish I hadn't taken so long to get it. But only if you like drama/thrillers. It's just so beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that book? I always notice that Stieg Larsson books are always available in Danish here (esp in the library)

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I have heard of this one, and now you have convinced me to read it...
now, to find it in English...
ugh.. lol.

NotQuiteDanish said...

writer: you can borrow mine if you like - you live reasonably close, otherwise you can get it at the link below.

Kelli: I find books in DK very expensive. Every month, as soon as I get paid, I buy 4 or 5 from amazon. I use the UK site cause it's cheaper. Plus you don't have to buy new ones and it is a buz having parcels arrive at the post office - as long (as you get the nice lady and not the grump one!)

http://tinyurl.com/3l5x6e

Anonymous said...

I have finally found the book at bibliotek.dk service so I just have to wait for it to arrive in my library.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

When I buy books, I also buy it from UK, there's this site called the book depository which doesn't charge shipping cost. It's slightly cheaper than Amazon UK.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say one more thing.

Have you read the first book of the trilogy? I dunno the English title but I believe it's called Mænd der hader kvinder in Danish, because this is the second book, no? (Pigen der legede med ilden)

NotQuiteDanish said...

writer: Now I am confused myself about this because when I looked on Amazon, it seemed to indicate the other books weren't available yet (in English) but you could pre-order them. Maybe Dragon is the second book but it's also in this book that the two protagonists meet.

Thanks for the other online store tips!!

Anonymous said...

I just finished the book. I dunno why they give that odd English title, the original Swedish / Danish title would be so much more appropriate, but it's a great book!