Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Right hemisphere vs Left hemisphere

First, let me tell you a bit about me. I am, in my own way, organised. However, I am a typical right hemisphere thinker. I tend to ‘feel’ my way to a destination. I don’t like to be hemmed in too much and I love adventure. Not following exact itineraries makes me feel free.

NQDII, OTOH, is the opposite. One must always know exactly where they are going and getting lost is about the worst than can ever happen. The only way to enjoy something is to have it completely planned from whoa to go.

This picture below will give you an indication of what I’m up against. I could easily (and love) being an adventurer. He would hate it.

Tired of looking on rejseplanen (‘not always the most efficient route and doesn’t show an alternative should a train be late’) every morning to check the train timetables, he’s created his own train (and one bus, as he pointed out) schedule, showing, and I quote, ‘the most efficient way to get to and from work everyday’. Apparently it shows an example for any given hour of the day, with times of operation on the far right column should it not actually be applicable all day. The rows in bold show the most time efficient way to get to and from work. Highlighted in orange and trains and buses are ‘critical’ because if they are late, ‘one should immediately change routes’.

I had to scan it in and show the world. For a start, I could never be bothered doing it and secondly, I don’t understand how it works. Still, it works for him and is, as a scientist, I guess apt.

8 comments:

PiNG aka Patti said...

LOL - this reminds me of my parent's itineraries when they are headed out on a vacation. Several years ago, they drove their motorhome across the US, from New York State to Washington State. Approximately one week before the trip started, I was sent a book detailing every road they would take, each campground, each attraction, the cost of each item, the opening hours of each attraction they planned to visit, etc. etc. etc... I brought it to my office to show everyone and no one could believe anyone would put this much work into their travel plans! I guess now I can say I know of at least one other who might just do so!

Anonymous said...

I'm also a very organised person and I make timetables and lists for my activities but I never went that far to make a table on how to take public transport to work / school LOL

Paula said...

I am like you. I like to 'feel' my way around things. My husband Thomas however, is extremely organized- very much like who you are describing above.

NotQuiteDanish said...

patti: That is hysterical. ALthough I now have a sad glimpse of the rest of my life to come :(

Writer: I could tell that my those pics of your study books. I will introduce you to NQDII and you can swap notes and work out ways to bring me 'into line' :)

Paula: If you ever need someone to talk to about your situation, you know where to turn! :)

May said...

Ooookay, that's a bit scary.

Although to tell the truth, I'm somewhat like that too. I plan my routes well in advance and I made an excel file with a graph to follow my puppy's housebreaking progress. Of course, I also took a science education.

NotQuiteDanish said...

May: I'm starting to get the feeling I may be the odd one out here...

DreaminginDanish said...

wowza...i wish i had it together enough to do something like that. but then i also wish i could get places on time and not daydream my way thru the day as well.

MoMo 2.0 said...

you 2 sound like us.. I have to breathe deeply and just smile when Mads wants to just get in the car and go.. WITHOUT a hotel reservation or a route mapped out or even snacks packed! Me, I plan how many bottles of water we need based on how far we are driving each day.. but he is helping me to chill! (a little) so I totally get the R/L thing!