Saturday, September 27, 2008

To be Danish




I’m starting to feel Danish because:

1. Australia really does seem a very long way away now

2. I feel good about paying 50% tax and see the sense in it (Well, it really does have its merits!)

3. It’s important to learn Danish because so many people in the world don’t speak it

4. I can now (if I sprinkle methamphetamine on my rye bread and chocolate flakes) get every bit of household shopping done on a Saturday before the shops close at 2.30pm o’clock

5. I finally know who every member of the royal family is, including cousins

6. I loved summer and the almost constant light but am looking forward to candles and darkness

7. If the train stops, I just sit there and don’t complain – even if it’s for an hour

8. I think it is a shame Denmark lost Southern Sweden to the Swedes 300 years ago

9. I now believe Hygge is untranslatable and I don’t screw up my face when someone says so

10. What’s wrong with spending DKK800 (AU$200) on drinks on a Friday night? Really??!

11. I take pride in my once-every-nine-week duty to clean the stair well and basement. (Why would you pay someone to do that?) ☹

12. Social smoking is good. It makes you happy

13. Smoking full time makes you even happier

14. Drinking till you throw up, on a Friday and/or Saturday night, is an excellent idea and I wonder why I’d never thought of it before. (Although preferably not a Sunday, from personal experience)

15. People who have a couple of glasses of wine every night of the week are alcoholics. Those who drink until they are comatose on the weekend, are not

16. Flats having no numbers but only ‘to the left’ or ‘to the right’ makes perfect sense

17. It’s not a funny question if someone asks you do you go ‘to the left’ or to the right’

18. If it’s 1st June, you wear shorts, even if it’s -1C

19. Ærter doesn’t mean artichoke

20. I can’t understand why AustraliaPost men/women don’t deliver mail right to your door

21. Pharmacies should always have queue numbers

22. Leaving your baby snuggled up in a pram to sleep in the back yard in mid-winter does them the world of good

23. It’s better if you live ‘North of Copenhagen’ – even if I don’t

24. Even if nothing is organised, it will be okay

25. A CPR number is essential, it’s not in any way a Big Brother thingy

26. Five or six weeks holiday time a year is bordering on unreasonable

27. People who say ‘hello’ or ‘undskyld’ on a bus are probably deranged

28. Crown Princess Mary is Danish, not Australian

8 comments:

May said...

*rofl*

This and the bike entry gave me a couple of good laughs today. I can't say how the biking is in Copenhagen. Here I'm lucky to even see another bicyclist.

But this post. As a non-smoker I have no clue about 12+13, but otherwise you're spot on, even if I'd never even consciously thought of number 15! Oh, and I never go shopping on Saturdays. Way too many people getting in my way on Saturdays.

NotQuiteDanish said...

I know, I Iove No. 15. Quite a few Danes have raised eyebrows at us drinking wine at night - lots of Aussies do - I blame Italian migrants... But, then I went out with Danes on the weekend a number of times and I thought, Ahhh ha! Gotcha!

May said...

Weeeeeell, we always knew the Aussies and the Italians were drunks! :p

Kelli Nørgaard said...

4 freaking cracks me up.....
but 6 gives me some reassurance that my first full winter here will be ok... everyone talks about the candles... so reading your comment makes me believe I CAN SURVIVE the Danish winter!

and 21... ugh, I cannot get used to that! I have "cut" in front of so many people at the post office on more than one occasion... I just cannot remember to grab that number! Hopefully it will come, like "turn on the lights before you drive" did!

Sarah said...

This post made me laugh especially number 4 :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! This post is really funny! I'm an American expat in CPH, with a blog - would you mind if I nicked this, to post for all my blog fans to see (all 6)? Of course I'll link to you and everything.

mvh
Jennie

NotQuiteDanish said...

Selvfølgelig, Jennie!

Anonymous said...

Tusind tak! Har smækket den på min blog, til alles skue.

vh
Jennie