Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Denmark's lucky numbers!

OMG! I’m almost Danish!

Well, not quite, but I do have the coveted CPR number. This is the number you need to open a bank account, get a mobile phone contract, go to university, rent a DVD, borrow a book from the library, take very cheap Danish courses, and brunch at Amalienborg or Fredensborg on a Sunday. …Okay, not the last but the rest is all true.

To be honest, I was full of trepidation about getting this number (which actually isn’t that startling. It’s the first two number of your day, month and year of birth and four other numbers) and had in my mind it would be a nightmare to get. As it was, it only took two teeny trips to get. The first time, I went to the regular Copenhagen office, only to find because I live in Frederiksberg, which is a separate city to Copenhagen, even though it’s surrounded my Copenhagen, I had to go to the local Rådhus (Town Hall).

That took less than half an hour and, thanks to a very pleasant, although not too talkative chap, I had, in my hot little hands, the key to the city. How happy was I? I hadn’t felt so chuffed since I got my driver’s licence 400 years ago. So happy, in fact, I left the Rådhus and headed straight to the bank to open a bank account.

“Hej! I’d like to open a bank account…”

“Do you have a CPR number??”

“YESSSSSSSS!!!! I do!!!”

I could tell by the smile on the pretty-faced woman behind the counter that she was impressed too.

I now have a Danish bank account with absolutely no money in it! Look out Switzerland!

No comments: