Monday, November 26, 2007

What do Danes do on Sundays???

It came as a surprise to me to find shops don’t open all week in Denmark. I dunno, but I suspected the entire Western World were shopaholics. Certainly it’s the case in Australia where families seem to spend their entire weekends wandering aimlessly around shopping centres, or ‘malls’ as they seem to be called, as if they’re about to chant, ‘We want Somar, we want somar’ – or whatever it was in that 70’s sci-fi movie the sedated population wanted. I hate malls. I find them depressing places as they remind me that I’m sure there used to be something we did on Sunday, and even late Saturday afternoon that we don’t do now that didn’t involve buying something we really didn’t need. I think it was called life with less red figures on our credit cards.

Imagine how odd it was then for me to be ‘surprised’ to find I couldn’t go shopping for furniture for the new flat on Sunday. It wasn’t a great day weather wise but I really wanted to get set up. No way. Not even Ikea.

It had me thinking though that perhaps it’s a good thing. Annoying for me presently, of course, but Danes must do something else instead. I’ve no idea what that is yet but I intend to find out. My sister-in-law was very impressed when I told her last night.

As it stands, there is a two bedroom flat in Copenhagen I have keys for but completely empty of furniture and ceiling lights…

For those who want to check out what Ikea has to offer in Denmark, you can brows the catalogue

1 comment:

N said...

I don't know what they do either...when I was there we stayed home on Sundays 'cause nothing's open. I think it's family bounding time. They don't even open the shop until 9 pm like in Canada. It was surprising for me too.