Saturday, November 17, 2007

Supermarket experience...take 6...

Those who know me well will vouch that I hate supermarket shopping. NQDII and I have an arrangement where I do other things rather than shop for food and other goods. Today, I almost came to grief, yet again.

I’d been waiting on some luggage to arrive that I had sent from Melbourne via a ‘quick’ non-excess baggage company. It arrived and I had to pay DKR1500, which pretty much stripped me of any cash.

Needing essentials, I headed off to the dreaded supermarket. They’re, by far, the only negative experience I’ve had in Denmark, apart from the indifferent, huffy older ladies in the post office. Anyway, apart from not being stocked anywhere to the degree of Australian supermarkets, I finally found everything I needed and made my way to the hellishly long queue.

I suddenly realised I had not much cash on me and turned to a guy behind me and asked if they took Visa card. He looked at me like I was a nutcase and said, “Only Dansk Card’ or something like that. That saw my rushing off to hide my basket and head outside to the nearest flexi teller. Thank god for flexi tellers.

Really, I am about due for a positive supermarket experience…

2 comments:

Lisa Lorenz said...

I had to laugh at your post! I have been here over 3 years and hate grocery shopping in DK..its terrible. They are always running out of everything! So I really can relate to your post...

NotQuiteDanish said...

I have to say, Lisa, without meaning to sound derogatory to Denmark, the first time I went, it looked and felt like what I imagine Russia was like before Glasnost and the Berlin Wall coming down - little choice and lots of empty shelves. Apparently there is a good one called 'Best' something but not around here. I'm still yet to find dental floss.