Saturday, November 17, 2007

Feel like a change of scenery?


Thinking of coming to live and work in Denmark? Why not? My experience so far has been very positive. I’ve also been here a number of times before, so I’m a tad familiar with it.

For a start, Denmark is a very compact country – small if you like. That said, it also has a small population, so there’s still lots of countryside and rather lovely and varied at that. Unlike other European countries, there are also some very good beaches.

The country is made up of one peninsula, jutting out from Europe, called Jutland in English and, literally, hundreds of other little islands. The two biggest are Funen and Zealand and it’s on the latter that Copenhagen is perched.

It’s true what everyone says about the taxes, they’re very high, but, Danes get a lot of value for their money – although I’m not sure they always think so. However, unlike the US or Australia, tertiary education is pretty much free and the health system very comprehensive. Graduates aren’t left with ridiculous fees to pay off once they finish university.

It’s also, from what I can see – and not having any myself, a very good place to bring up children. By Western standards it’s extremely safe. The standard of living is very high, education excellent and, at least at the moment, lots of jobs for your children once they finish school.

If you’re planning to become the next Rupert Murdoch or Bill Gates, then maybe Denmark isn’t for you but if you want to have a very good life, in a clean environment and opportunities for your kids to do the same, then think about it. I’ve met quite a few expats from other Western countries who’ve moved here to do just that. For me, it’s a bit like the Australia I grew up in. Kids can walk safely home from school, there are very few dodgy areas and life is quite enjoyable.

Danes are very proud of their country and I can see why. On the whole, they’re a pretty friendly bunch. They like a good laugh which usually includes some irony, self-deprecation and a bit of ribbing. Much like Australian humour, so I’m lucky there. Then again, like anywhere you do meet unfunny people. In my experience so far, you can usually find them at the post office or the town hall…

From what I can see, there are two drawbacks – three if you count long, dark winters. The first is the language that, while not incredibly hard grammar-wise is nigh on impossible to pronounce because Danes gulp down words like they’re starved for them. Secondly, if you do really love it here and plan to become a citizen so you can vote, you’ll have to renounce your current citizenship. Recently, the younger prince here announced his engagement to a French girl (she could be Swiss??) but, anyway, the press release quaintly stated she would ask the French (Swiss?) government to ‘release her from her citizenship’. Perhaps there’s a good reason for this law but I should think, for most of us proud of who we are presently – even if we’re not there – it’s a huge decision. And, unlike the princess-to-be, we probably wouldn’t be giving it up to live in palaces and enjoy all the trappings associated with that (duties and responsibilities aside, of course).

6 comments:

N said...

I want to move to Denmark to be with my boyfriend, but it seems very hard to do so due to tight immigration laws. I really liked Denmark when I visited, and I prefer a smaller and quiet place. Any suggestions as how to move there?

NotQuiteDanish said...

Hi Bluefish. Yes, I've heard it can be difficult to move here but I've only heard that *after* I"d moved here. I'm not sure whether you are in the EU or in a non-EU country? Have you had a look at the Positive List? It's a list of professions that have easier access to permits. You can check it out in detail by visiting www.nyidanmark.com and click on the 'English' link if you don't speak Danish. Let me know how you go!

N said...

I'm from Canada and currently attending a higher education. I looked at the website but it has many other links. I'm not sure which one I should click on. I'm most worried about not able getting a job if I haven't had my University diplomat yet. Maybe the credentials are different in Denmark...I have many questions, yet not many are answered.

N said...

I'm from Canada and currently attending a higher education. I looked at the website but it has many other links. I'm not sure which one I should click on. I'm most worried about not able getting a job if I haven't had my University diplomat yet. Maybe the credentials are different in Denmark...I have many questions, yet not many are answered.

N said...

I just created my blog-Between Canada and Denmark. Hope you can read it.:)

NotQuiteDanish said...

Hi Bluefish. What you could do, once you graduate is get a student visa, which allows you to do some work in Denmark. Perhaps then you could look around for something full´time that fits your qualifications, especially if your degree is in an area mentioned on the Positive List.