Saturday, March 1, 2008

'Aussie' in the news in Sweden

This is one of those weird immigration cases, where a guy called Stefan Nystrom was born in Sweden when his mother, an Australian resident, was back in Sweden visting her family.

Unfortunately for Stefan, neither his mother, nor later him, bothered to think about him becoming and Australian citizen. Consequently, he grew up in Australia feeling, I should think, very much Australian.

Even more unfortunate for everyone concerned, including Australian society by the sound of it, is Stefan became a very bad boy getting into all sorts of mischief including aggravated rape at the grand old age of ten and armed robbery at eleven. To be fair, most of his misdemeanours, of which there seems to be many, were committed prior to his turning 18.

Due to some tiny technicality – not ever acquiring Australian citizenship – he was not so long ago shipped back ‘home’ to Sweden.

He ain’t happy about it.

While I can’t imagine he’s the nicest sort of guy you could meet, maybe he’s changed his ways and I’ve no doubt his aging mother loves him and it must be awful for her. In any case, he’s stuck in Denmark’s northern neighbour (which he refers to as a ‘Hitler country’) for the time being och han pratar bara ‘engelsk’.

What I did have a laugh at, was his quotes in the article of The Local, Sweden’s online newspaper in English. I won’t quote his tirade in its entirety because The Local might sue me and I’ll be shipped back to Australia, but I do love this very Australian conclusion:

"My mum's an old woman. She's dying and I'm over here in a cold, piece of shit country. It's killing me. I don't want to be here. I'm over it."

You can read the whole article at:

The Local

No comments: