Monday, March 17, 2008

Re: my post on heroin and drug addicts



Two odd things about this post. I was walking Hamish the on the weekend on my own, which I like because if we get ‘lost’ no one panics. In fact, I like getting lost because it makes me feel adventurous. And in this walk, I was.

We were ambling around and my idea was to cut across from where we live, walk down a bit and end up on Gammel Kongevej. Whatever I did, we ended up crossing Gammel Kongevej without me even realising it. I was day-dreaming.

We ended up in Vesterbro.

Now, when I was in Denmark in the 80’s, Vesterbro was nothing like it is today. It was very much ‘red light’, especially Istegade. And, being a good public school boy from the right side of the tracks (despite my looks now) I wondered where on Earth I was.

Today, Vesterbro is a mix of trendy and grunge. It’s a bit like St Kilda without the beach.

Anyway, Hamish and I approached a corner and on the steps of a building were a group of guys with beautiful black skin holding a bit of foil and swishing a cigarette lighter under it and sucking the smoke up through a straw.

I tried not to stare (I know I complain a lot but I do like my life – most of it) and I knew it was some kind of drug.

Strangely enough, on television that night (or the next) was a film with Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. I think it was called ‘Traffik’ (sp) and it was about drugs. From it, I learned that this is how some people use heroin. Personally, I think it’s a wasteful and probably not very economical procedure as I assume most of the smoke would be lost but, anyway, that’s how it works.

Thanks Michael!

Wow. In retrospect it was very freaky seeing it and then later being told via a movie what it was.

Hamish and skedaddled it quick-sticks back to Fredriksberg.

No comments: