Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chapter 9


Yep, I’m up to Chapter 9 of the must-read Danish bestseller, “Tempo 1, Taleserier till danskuddannelse 3, Modul 1 begyndere” by Kirsten Gelbek. It’s a bit of a mouthful, I know, but it’s an imperative component to life for those of us intent on becoming the next Peter Høeg, (don’t ask me for the publication date, you will be immensely disappointed).

Oh g-d. I just wish I could just whack it under my Jysk, feather pillow (DKR 80 on special a couple of months ago) and have it seep into my head. Having been here in the 80’s and having also studied Swedish for three years at university back then, one would think I would have picked Danish up in a flash – but no. I laboriously write out every new group of words, slavishly copy and re-write them till they have somewhat stuck into my shrivelling grey matter. There they stay for 8 days and seventeen and a half hours.

I’m beginning to tire of the protagonist Jensen family. I want Per’s bus to breakdown, menopause to hit Anne, Jan to turn into a Norrebro delinquent and Lise to come out as a lesbian.

Arghhh. It’s Sunday. I just want to walk the dog and relax.

When’s the next public holiday? ☺

3 comments:

PiNG aka Patti said...

Ahh the beloved Jensen family! They're like old friends of mine now. Our teacher chose to skip over Tempo 2 as apparently over 50% of the book is about the Jensen family trip to the dentist, so we moved directly to Tempo 3. And because I don't want to be accused of giving you a spoiler - Tempo 3, Chapter 1 - things do take a turn for the worse for the Jensen family!

NotQuiteDanish said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that!

Anonymous said...

Goodluck! I never used that book by the way, I stick to the book they gave me in Studieskolen