Sunday, July 6, 2008

A day at the beach







(First, someone help me out. Wasn't there a Danish movie in the 80's called, 'A day at the beach'? I've looked it up but all I can find is one from the 70's co-written by Roman Polanski. I'm sure it wasn't that...)

Who would have thought? Beautiful beaches in Denmark and one only 5kms (or so) from our front door.

We left early yesterday and headed to Amager Strandparken. I get the giggles at how Amager is pronounced – ‘um-ahh’ – which in Aussie slang means you’ve done something wrong.

That aside, we had those pedals pumping from Frederiksberg, through the City and onto Amager. There’s lots said about Amager – especially from those who live ‘North of Copenhagen’ – but I must say I actually like it. And, with the beach, what’s not to like?

Amager Strandparken is a new beach. They made it because the sand kept washing away because the water was too shallow. Now, there’s what we call a ‘back beach’ which is great for little kids and then a new five or so kilometre long front beach that you can access from three bridges.

I love it.

The weather yesterday (Saturday) was gorgeous. Not a breath of wind and the water was glass clear. I felt like I was on holiday – and I will be as of next Friday!

We’re off to London to visit friends on Friday night for four days but then we’ll be back and, weather permitting, I think I’ll be spending most of it at Amager. There’s apparently a great beach, Bellevue Strand, but it’s usually packed – with lots of ‘bisse’ someone at work told me, so I will stick to Amager.

We took a detour on the way home and went to the Opera House and looked over the harbour to Amalienborg. It looks like Frederik and Mary’s house is finally becoming unwrapped.

It’s very funny the amount of tourists you can have in one day, come up to you and say, “Excuse me, can you speak English?” I’m bad, but I love saying – with an accent, “A little.” And then launching into fluent English ☺

BTW. In the background, at the beach, you can see the windmills that help generate power and the Oresund Bridge that links Denmark to Sweden.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amager Strand is quite boring, but then again we have Bali, Lombok and all the beautiful beaches that cannot be compared with this fake beach (or should I say artificial - for politeness sake LOL)

About the film, did you mean den store badedag?

NotQuiteDanish said...

Ahhh you're such a cynic, Writer - or tell it how it is! :) Well, sure, both of us come from countries renowned for their beaches but I really had no idea Denmark's were so good. Plus, you really don't have to worry so much about sharks or lethal stingers, which really does spoil relaxing swims in Australia.

Okay, Amager is manmade but then there's some spectacular ones on on Jutland. Compared to the usual European beach - 4 million beach goers packed on pebbles, I think DK comes out trumps, especially considering most of them are sand rather than pebbles.

Maybe it is Den Store Badedag. I shall look it up. I can't even remember what it was about - I just remember that I saw it :))

N said...

The beach looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

LOL yes, maybe I am a cynic after all, it's just that I begin to appreciate our beaches more and more after seeing those "famous" beaches at those European holiday sites.

I heard about those shark attacks in Australia. Quite scary!