Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mary eller Marie? (Mary or Marie?)

HRH Crown Princess MarY


The new one, HRH Princess MarIE (pic from SIPA)


HE Alexandra, Countess of Rosenborg


We were talking about the two princesses from the younger generation bar one today – Mary (a close personal friend who is always too busy to answer my calls – despite my father asking if she’s contacted me yet – constantly) and Marie, the newest (bar one almost toddling) Danish princess.

They share the same name and they look spookily alike. What’s with that, do you think? These pics probably don't quite show the similarity but if you do a google, you'll find some. They both seem like nice (Very Lucky) girls.

We get all the gossip magazines at work. There’s one mag, Her og Nu (Here and Now), which provides endless seconds of fascination for us and which always devotes the first 400 pages to the goings on of the much-loved royal family.

Now, to be honest, I am a huge fan of Frederik. He’s a typical Danish male – sincere, amiable and has a very cheeky smile. Quite a few people I know think his public speaking skills leave much to be desired but they don’t worry me. It's very hard to taler dansk and he will obviously agree. See, thats just one of the reasons I know we'd be the very best of mates if we actually ever met. But, I do think all you need to be a good prince and king is a good heart, a little bit of imagination, lots of patience and a good wife.

For those not up to date with the goings on of the Danish Royal family, the younger brother, Joachim, used to be married to the much-loved Alexandra (photo attached). He met her in Hong Kong and their engagement surprised the entire country.

Alexandra quickly became a soft spot for the 99% of the Danish population who are monarchists. She learned Danish in just on five minutes and seemed set for a golden life as one of God’s chosen.

Not so.

The seven-year itch took hold and irreconcilable differences took root. Alexandra left the outback (as I’m sure she thought of it) of Shackenborg Slot, a goss-landering husband and the country mourned the demise of a fairytale. (A lot more followed but I won’t go into it – I want some dinner).

Along comes Marie. Not only does she share the same name but also a similar look to my fellow countryperson, Mary.

I suggested it was a case of a youngerbrotherism (I grew up with one): if you have one, I want one too.

Others were bordering bewilderment and fascination.

But I wonder what Freud would make of it?

6 comments:

N said...

What's up not marrying Danes? It seems like the Princes like foreigners very much, so does the Queen. I think the father will not be so lonely anymore, now he can communicate with his daughter-in-law in French, if that's premitted.

Canada's head of state is Queen of England, but we do not care much. A Montrealer recently married Queen's grandson and that's the most excitement we get here.

Anonymous said...

I also discussed about this younger-brother-ism thing with my friends the other day when Joachim announced that he proposed her.

If it's true, then I think Frederik must have felt a little bit creeped out at the fact that the younger brother (sort of) wanted his wife LOL

One thing that I don't understand about Denmark and Danish Royalties is that all the Royal Family members are married to foreigners, yet they make it extremely tough for average Danes to marry foreigners. Double morality? Double standard?

May said...

I married a foreigner. I wonder if this makes me part royal. :p

NotQuiteDanish said...

May - absolutely! Just go right up to the front door or HM's palace at Amalienborg and you'll be ushered in with lots of fuss. True. Do it this weekend and report back :)

Writer & Bluefish I quite agree about the marrying non-danes bit. It is rather a double standard. Apparently the Queen prefers it because the gals won't bring their histories to DK. However, in the age of internet etc I can't quite see the logic in this anymore. It was probably a perfect solution in 1808 but I dunno about 2008. Still, mine is not to question the decisions or reasons of my temporary Head of State. In fact, I've probably said to much already and I'll get a letter from Danskebank saying 'someone' has commanded I not be given a DanKort.

May said...

Drat, I'm expecting visitors from Switzerland this weekend, so it will have to wait. Otherwise I would've gone for sure.

But hey! That'll give them time to prepare, roll out the red carpet, prepare the guestroom, all that stuff.

MoMo 2.0 said...

all I can say is my goal is to speak better danish than both of them! LOL¨

have fun on your holiday!