Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sommerferie




The roads are quiet cycling to work this week and we're about to join the exodus. One more sleep and two days of work and I have two whole weeks off. I can't wait. It's my first break of more than a few days in almost two year. Of course I had two weeks off over Christmas but NQDII arrived and came down with Roskilde Syg four days later, which lasted the rest of my holidays. So I don't count nursing someone with projectile vomiting that lasted eight days, a break!

We're off to London tomorrow night to visit friends and Hamish is leaving tonight for a holiday of his own in Nordsjælland. I always get an attack of the guilts about his 'holiday' but he comes back and usually sleeps for two days, so I presume he's fairly active while away.

Sommerferie in Denmark is a serious business, so serious that quite a lot of companies close or have skeleton staff - and a good thing too because in no time at all we'll feel the dark creeping up on us and that early morning chill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They say that in Denmark, the Danes are constantly thinking about summer vacation, when they're not having it, they're busy planning it (I saw advertisements about summer holiday in Greece last winter in the cinema just before the movie starts)

....well since they have these kind of weather, it makes sense (in a way) that they're taking the summer holiday seriously LOL

N said...

That sounds like me, the writer. When I'm not on vacation, I'm planning fake ones. Then when I'm actually on vacation, I'm planning the next one:p.

NotQuiteDanish said...

True, and as I said, it really is *serious business*. Lots of planning, lots of saving etc. There's no let's duck off here for a while, it's all decided months in advance!

MoMo 2.0 said...

If your dog´s holiday time is anything like what my Albert experiences when he goes goes to "Farfars hus" to be dogsat, it will be filled with Liver Postej and being spoiled rotten. I am learning that DK is a dog loving country!

NotQuiteDanish said...

kelli, i think you are right. He usually comes home and sleeps for two days, barely raising his head, so I am not worried. We've just arrived home but Hamish is not due back until Saturday - I sort of had to comply with the summer vacancies and felt a bit bad not booking him in for the whole week. Of course, NQDII thinks otherwise... (