Monday, July 7, 2008

The not so good news about the Danish holiday system




It’s true about the five to six weeks holiday. What’s also true is that you have to wait 12 months to be eligible to take paid leave. That didn’t worry me because the same is usually true in Australia and, of course, you can always take unpaid leave.

What I hadn’t realised was that 12 months is calculated from May to May, so actually I won’t be eligible from paid leave until June next year. That’s 18 months from when I started! Certainly it’s no big drama but it does call for careful economy – something I’m not so wonderful at.

It’s something to keep in mind if you come to work in Denmark and to question on your contract. I don’t know if there is a way around it or if every company follows the rule but it doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if you have the option of starting work in May over June!

4 comments:

Paula said...

This blog is hilarious! Im glad I found it!

NotQuiteDanish said...

Thank you! I'm glad my misfortunes keep people laughing :)) I do my best :)

Paula said...

hi! I am actually from Singapore and I have been living in Denmark with my Danish husband for the past two years. Pretty close to where you come from, come to think of it.

NotQuiteDanish said...

Ahhh. My brother and his wife and kids live in Singapore.