Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's a whacky world

This was brought home clearly to us last night as we scoffed dinner in front of the television. (As you can see, we are highly civilised.)

If cameras were aimed at us it would actually make interesting viewing. We lean our heads in from opposite sofas, squint, screw our faces up, look at each other and every fifteen seconds ask in frustration, ‘Hvad siger han?’ (What did he say?).

Often, the reporter or whomever looks very serious. You know, lots of bobbing of their heads as they tell us to prepare for the Russian invasion in 48 hours time and we sit there certain they’re talking about one of the new pieces of legislation made in Denmark every two working hours or the latest from the nail-biting world of badminton.

Anyway, last night we were engrossed when suddenly there was a knock at the door. This is a highly unusual occurrence and piqued our interest immediately.

Within seconds NQDII had banged the plate on the floor and rushed with Hamish to confirm that another human being had actually put hand to wood – unexpectedly – at our door.

I heard murmured voices as I continued eating. (I was curious, but not enough to stop devouring my second enormous meal of the day). Plus, I couldn’t hear much because we have the television up so loud so we can hear the words more clearly.

NQDII duly returned.

“Who was it?”

“The television police.”

“Oh no! What did you say?”

“What do you think I said? I can’t bloody lie and say we don’t own one when all you can here in the background is someone yelling, ‘…og om lidt, Airline’ at a million decibels.”

And, while there is a happy story to this (he’s only charging us as of yesterday) it does seem a bit whacky to be paying for something when all we can understand from what we watch amounts to a total of 27%.

9 comments:

May said...

Ugh. I had them visit as well when I was a student and of course the TV was also blaring in the background.

Of course now I've become older and more law-abiding, so I actually voluntarily signed up for payments this time round. Also it's pretty difficult to explain that I have an internet company without having a computer or the huge satellite dish hanging on one stable wall (my husband didn't feel he could live with just DR1 and TV2).

Anonymous said...

LOL We had to pay that too after getting tired of sneaking around (they even charge you if you only have a mobile phone - no TV), who in the world right now that doesn't have a mobile phone? The grandma next door to my apartment also have one.

May said...

*grin*

Erhmm I don't have a mobile phone.

NotQuiteDanish said...

May: It's something I've been meaning to do as soon as I found out you had to. Unfortunately, they got in first. It's no longer the case in Australia but I do remember as a child when it was. It seems a bit ridiculous considering how much you pay for all these gadgets anyway. Still, at least here ads are only aired before and after programmes, not every 10 minutes. About your non mobiling: Lucky you!!

Writer: Honestly, we weren't sneaking round. I really did mean to pay it. It's just one of those things you forget about and 'must do'.

Anonymous said...

I know you weren't, but we were. We refuse to pay something that is supposed to be our rights when we buy a tv. We already paid for the cable, so we don't feel that it's quite right for DR to charge people the so-called license fee. It's completely rubbish and they even have dumped the idea in many countries. It's crazy that they've just started here.

@may: you don't have a cellphone? Ah, so I guess I must take a mental note that not everyone has a cellphone - I assumed that it was like that since I saw the sonofon tv ads about the old guy who was half crying giving away his old fashioned home phone and changed it into a fancy cellphone LOL

NotQuiteDanish said...

writer: You rebel you (s), you and your bf. True enough though, as I said earlier it all seems a bit of overkill.

May said...

heh...the Sonofon ads are not all wrong. Just last year, I went into a phone booth in a big exhibition hall, only to find that the phone had been replaced with an internet connection plug for laptops. When I inquired about the missing phone at the information desk, they looked at me as if I was completely bonkers, because, naturally, EVERYONE has a mobile phone.

Same thing happens when they call from the different phone companies to offer me a better deal on my mobile phone subscription. I always have to repeat myself several times before they realise that I do not have a mobile phone.

And don't get me started on international bank transactions or friends who think I must be always available (to be honest, I sometimes pull out the plug on my regular phone).

As it is now, I'm getting increasingly stubborn about NOT getting a phone. :)

PiNG aka Patti said...

This is hysterical. Hearing about this was one of those moments where my dear hubby took abuse for his country. I am very lucky that I have him to deal with all these special little legalities of living here!

Kelli Nørgaard said...

The first time Mads told me about this, I was CONFIDENT he was joking!! I mean, SERIOUSLY!? This is not 1958... everyone has a tv...in every room! But alas, I found out it was true...
there is not a Santa Claus, but there IS a TV Police!