Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kunst hændværker markedet



Our main reason for going out yesterday was to visit the crafts market on Domkirkepladsen. While I am a bit marketed-out – what with Brick Lane in London, one in Brussels and a recent one in Frederiksberg – I’d read this particular one was very good.

I’m a bit ho-hum about such events. You can only look at so many knotted leather bracelets, macramé and run-of-the-mill seascapes. Thankfully, there was none of that here. Indeed, it was undoubtedly the best I’ve ever been too. There was also the most delicious looking ice cream stand. Unfortunately the queue was so long and disorganised we gave up on it but even now, I feel quite cheated.

The general standard was absolutely superb. It’s utterly mind-blowing how talented some people are. I have trouble drawing stick figures.

It was really the Harrods of open-air markets.

I was impressed with everything – the silversmith work, ceramics and even the clothes. There were so many outstandingly beautiful pieces. I really wish I’d had my real camera and not just the one on the phone.

It’s too hard to really pick favourites but the kiln-fired glasswork by Jørgensen & Mørch Design was exquisite. The plate pictured here in the photograph was amazing and there was a pair of delicate candlesticks by Dorph-Jensen that were simply magnificent. The glass of Marie Petpen was extremely interesting as was the jewellery from Galerie Metal. Really, there was lots of others too - I just didn't grab all of their cards.

When you hear about Danish design, this is what they mean. It was the market’s 25th anniversary and I can’t recommend a visit to next year’s enough.

Really cool pots with rock lids




The plate we're starting to save-up for

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Err...so you're saying that the things they sold there are quite expensive?

NotQuiteDanish said...

Well for me, in short, on the whole? Yup. :) But really, I think good investments.