Saturday, August 2, 2008

Nørrebro nights

Entrance to the local gym. Sorry, my phone cam doesn't like twilight, but you...get the picture

Nørrebro is the city area next to us. It has a lot of bad press, often deservedly, and it’s where some disgruntled youths got their knickers in a knot over their community house being torn town last year and set about tearing the rest of the area down. Many people call it Nørrebronx.

Personally, I rather like it. I don’t know that I’d want to live there. It’s a bit like a very big Brunswick Street, Fitzroy and, as good as the restaurants are along that strip, I wouldn’t want to live in Fitzroy either. Certainly, I don’t feel unsafe there, which is interesting, although the place is thriving with the usual street-types you find in ‘grunge’ areas. Ya gotcha drunks, ya gotcha druggies, ya gotcha gangs etc. but compared to other such areas I’ve been to in other countries it’s, thankfully, pretty tame. The VisitCopenhagen website describes it as a place for 20-30 somethings (they didn’t include me in this statistic) full of hip cafes, restaurants etc, shopping and exotic food. It’s also probably the most graffiti-ed place in Denmark.

All that said, it really does have some cool places to eat. Last night we went with some of NQDII’s workmates to – wait for it – Pussy Galore’s, which is right on Sank Hans Torv and surrounded by other cool eating and drinking venues. It was a beautiful night and perfect to sit outside drinking and eating. I think you know you’re starting to adjust to life in Denmark when you think nothing of spending DKK500 on a few drinks!

Funny, cause I just watched Goldfinger last weekend



We sat at a table almost in the middle of the square, right beside the park bench, inhabited by two not-so-happy-with-the-world vagrants. But they kept to themselves and seemed quite happy to watch everyone around them and duck of occasionally for fresh øl supplies. At one point, one of their bottles fell over and beer quickly poured out. I’ve never seen someone who can barely walk, move so fast to upright a bottle!

Of course, our final stop was one of my favourite places Paradis who have, I believe, the best ice-cream in town and, having managed to keep to a diet for the entire week (I’ve put on 7kg since November last year) I felt I’d earned a splurge. I’ve just got to learn to fight the nagging withdrawals that really want me to go back and get another one today!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I know what you meant and 500 kr for few drinks are hard for us the SU students *sigh* LOL but most of the time, we cannot resist that :D

NotQuiteDanish said...

Very hard to resist and after a couple you don't really care - at least until the next time you check your bank balance!

PiNG aka Patti said...

The 7kg weight gain doesn't surprise me at all - I'm in a similar situation! I'm telling you, this is carb country!

MoMo 2.0 said...

Ok, now I have new places to put on my "must see" list! However, if I wrote the name of that place you went on my blog, I think my mom would DIE! LOL

NotQuiteDanish said...

Ping: I think my whole trouble stems from the fact I had two winters in a row - Melbourne's and then flew straight into CPH. I admit, I let myself go in the winter and two, well, two was just a disaster.. :(

Kelli:Yes, it's a great name. Just get your mum to watch Goldfinger beforehand!

N said...

I heard about that place. What kind of food do they serve? Is it good?